Wednesday 17 April 2013

Green Minestrone Soup and Jamie's Kitchen- Perth!


A couple of days ago I made a green minestrone soup for dinner as this is a great way to put heaps of green vegetables in one dish. I had a massive bunch of curly kale I needed to use up, as I went to the Subiaco Station St markets last weekend (so cheap and such a big range!) and bought a bunch that was bigger than my head! 


First heat up a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil, and add:

  • 4 or 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 leek, sliced
  • 1 big zucchini, chopped
  • 2 or 3 celery sticks, chopped
  • handful of parsley, chopped
  • couple of bay leaves, dried or fresh
Cook over medium heat until soft, about 5 mins. Then add:
  • 1 tin of canelloni beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 litres of chicken or vegetabel stock (I added half and half)
  • 100 grams of gluten free spaghetti, broken up into pieces
  • a handful of frozen peas
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and then simmer until pasta is nealry cooked. In the last 5 mins add:
  • about a cup of chopped broccoli florets
  • season with salt and pepper
  • a dash of cayenne pepper
Then add a few leaves of chopped kale (stems removed). When serving I added fresh basil. You can add parmesan cheese as well if you want. So healthy and yum!




Last night a couple of girlfriends and I went to Jamie Oliver's new Perth restaurant. It was a long wait (like 2 and bit hours!) but it was definitely worth it. The food was so beautiful and delicious, yet so cheap compared to most Perth places. And the best thing was learning from the waiter how Jamie makes sure all the ingredients are sourced ethically and are of the highest quality possible. Made me love Jamie Oliver even more!
I hope other Perth restaurants take note!





No comments:

Post a Comment